- Brand: Birthwell Los Angeles
- Availability: In Stock
Allowing yourself to be pampered with a massage when your pregnant is one of the most wonderful self-care choices you can make, and you will find it is remarkably stressed reducing and overall wellness promoting. Massage relieves many of the normal discomforts experienced during pregnancy, such as leg cramps, backaches,......
Allowing yourself to be pampered with a massage when your pregnant is one of the most wonderful self-care choices you can make, and you will find it is remarkably stressed reducing and overall wellness promoting. Massage relieves many of the normal discomforts experienced during pregnancy, such as leg cramps, backaches, stiff necks, sore hips, and swelling. In addition, massage for pregnant women reduces stress on weight-bearing joints, encourages the circulation of blood and lymph, helps to relax nervous tension — which aids in better sleep — and can help relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes.
THE BENEFITS OF PRENATAL MASSAGE
At Birthwell Los Angeles, our therapists take extra care to ensure our pregnancy massage clients are comfortable. Sideline positioning with supportive, soft cushions is used to alleviate the extra strain on the lower back and pelvic areas. Through the second trimester, you may prefer to lie on your back with a small, cushioned wedge placed under one hip to provide a slight elevation. Depending on where you are in your pregnancy, your therapist may utilize such massage techniques as reflexology, Swedish massage or certain techniques that address your specific requests and needs. It is always a good idea to discuss with your therapist any symptoms you may be experiencing.
RELIEF OF EVERYDAY SYMPTOMS
These might include:
- Headaches can be relieved by massage focusing on the head, neck, and shoulders. In addition, maintaining optimal levels of stress relief through massage reduces the chances of migraines or tension headaches by relaxing trigger points and muscle spasms.
- Muscle tension created by carrying the extra weight of a baby can be relieved by encouraging blood flow to the afflicted areas. This provides more nutrient-rich oxygen and also increases the flow of lymphatic fluid, which sweeps away toxins and metabolic waste.
- Fatigue, backaches, leg cramps and swelling/edema can all be relieved through various types of massage for pregnant women.
- The ordinary aches and pains of pregnancy are countered by the release of serotonin, your body’s natural anti-pain chemical, which is stimulated by massage.
Prenatal massage can provide you with a better night’s sleep both during pregnancy and afterwards. Regular massage therapy not only helps diminish anxiety and discomfort but boosts relaxation as well. This ultimately can lead to improved sleep patterns. In addition, the serotonin, endorphins, and dopamine released by your body in response to massage provide an extra helping of those natural “feel good” chemicals.
Women with normal, low-risk pregnancies can benefit greatly from the variety of massage techniques offered by a Birthwell Los Angeles professional massage therapist. However, women in high-risk pregnancies should consult their midwife or doctor before beginning one of our massage therapy programs. If you experience discomfort at any time during the pregnancy massage, please tell your therapist immediately.